Friday, June 8, 2012

6/3/12 10pm - Arrived at Wilmington Notch Campground

Rode all day in the rain and arrived at the campground after 10pm. Set up the tent using light from my motorcycle headlight. Setting up in the dark, in the pouring rain, is definitely roughing it.  (Also, no pictures this day because of the constant rain)

After setting everything up and finally getting inside the tent, I peeled off all my soaking wet clothes, put on the only dry ones I had left, then crawled into my sleeping bag, finally warming up.

I was abruptly awoken at 11:30pm by a bear sniffing my tent. I got to see the nose press against the tent as he snorted in annoyance. I had no food for him (THANK GOD).   He then moved to another campsite where he shredded someone's trash that they had hung only 4 ft. off the ground (not a good idea).
Needless to say, I did not get to sleep till around 1am after this.

Next morning when I woke up, I spent a good hour in the campground office filling out a bear report.  The rangers take it very seriously when a bear gets brave enough to enter campgrounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment